Artificial Intelligence in Mobile Applications
Each of us knows that there is a trend in science and development process in general known as artificial intelligence. But what does that actually mean?
We see computers doing a wide variety of tasks, beginning with managing technological processes and security systems and up to launching rockets and many other unbelievable things.
What is most different from the previous century, is that computers have learnt how to interact with the humans. Recognizing your speech and face is only the part of something bigger that is happening inside a computerized logarithmic environment. Tons of code and calculations are happening at the same time in order to meet the user’s expectations.
The things which we have presented above are connected with the so-called Artificial Intelligence and its think-and-learn mode. But what does that mean?
Basically, Artificial Intelligence is the are of computer science where machines act like humans – they can interact, learn and adapt.
Not so long ago we couldn’t even assume that computers might stand on the same level as humans do. And that’s alright because they obviously don’t, but still. People have developed their computers so greatly that the latter proves that intelligence now is not only for humans.
That would be a surprise if that didn’t scare anybody. Stephen Hawking expressed his concern during one of the conferences in Portugal saying artificial intelligence could even exceed human intelligence, not just imitate.
However, the scientists then pointed out that he didn’t mean to expose AI as a danger or a threat to human civilization. Instead, AI demands that the humanity provide it with the best of the management and self-dedication.
We can make it clear by giving the examples of several applications using AI as the core of their exclusiveness. So, what is their priority if compared to non-AI apps and programmes?
Benefits of AI
It would be quite logical if we assumed that the main difference between “regular apps” and AI-empowered ones is the absence or presence of the “intelligence”. This intelligence imitates and resembles human thinking in a way. These programmes and systems show significantly less errors and more praise from the audience.
Let us say the search engine in your browser uses artificial intelligence. See how many day-to-day things use computer thinking?
Artificial intelligence nowadays is of a great use. It can help vendors and salesmen monitor the audience behaviour, choose the right price and even increase the sales. This is also the reason why people want to know how to build an AI in point-of-sale apps.
Another example of the use of AI is through social media. Collecting data, monitoring and eliminating spam in the posts, hiding sensitive information – all of that is done not only by humans. In general, it is the algorithm in the computer which decides first whether the publication is okay or not.
So today, it is merely impossible to underestimate the importance and significance of artificial intelligence in our life.
Types of Artificial Intelligence
The common classification suggests us to divide artificial intelligence into two groups: weak AI and strong AI.
Weak AI (also called “narrow”) is any system which is designed specifically for a particular task. The example of such weak AI systems is basically any voice assistant, as in Google or Apple.
Strong AI is characterized by its ability to perform a more complicated task. Strong (General) Artificial Intelligence is able to operate and adapt in an unknown environment, finding solutions and resolving different tasks without human intervention in the process.
Now you see why Hawking was scared a little bit. The use of artificial intelligence raises several ethical questions including the fact that AI still operates depending on the data put into it. It learns from it and solves the problems.
The fact that it could be any data in general makes it possible to make data biased, which only adds to the importance of close technological monitoring.
Top 5 AI Technologies Used in Mobile Application Development
- One of the most popular AI-driven technologies used in mobile application development is Speech Recognition Technology. This technology is all about decoding human speech, its understanding, and responsiveness. Cortana, Siri, Amazon Alexa, this is not even a half of the existing voice recognition apps, which proved that this type of Artificial Intelligence is in users’ demand.
- A similar role belongs to Virtual Agents. They assist users in everything they do on web and mobile platforms. Virtual Agents are mostly used in business applications (point-of-sale, banking, other services) as it allows to receive more feedback from the clients and help them solve most common problems which might occur. The most evident and popular example of a virtual agent is chat-bot.
- Natural Language Processing (NLP) is another cutting-edge technology itself that shows great results in understanding humans. NLP itself has spread to such sciences as linguistics, psychology and computer science bringing language processing to another level. NLP allows computers process large amount of natural language data and understand human behaviour. The most obvious example is your browser search. Not only does it understand what you are typing over there, but it also corrects you and suggests relevant things.
- Then we come to Image Recognition technology. It can be used to verify users by their appearance (Face Recognition Technology) or even detect document fraud.
- The last fascinating technology which you can benefit from is the so-called Emotion Recognition. If you thought that NLP is the limit for understanding what a human wants, then think about it twice. Let us say you could not only make an app recognize human face (like Face ID in Apple), but you can also make a computer read and understand the mimics of that face. Paraverbal communication is the next step in making interaction between a person and a computer more complex and common. Even more, a machine can understand human emotions through his or her voice intonation. The startups representing such technology are Emotion AI and Affectiva.
5 Tips on How to Develop Artificial intelligence App
So you have decided that you definitely need to build an AI-based application. Though it is still important to know what exactly you are going to build, another thing to keep in mind is the following set of general startup rules.
- Set yourself clear goals. When you have an idea, it is possible that you might want to make it the best of the best. This is a rather slippy road to your success. Running from one feature to another just makes a startup messy, and you cannot make everything perfect. Remember: the more things you are trying to include in your product, the higher possibility of the risk is.
- Know your strategy. Doing some research will help you learn your market, your target audience and so it will define your business strategy. The performed analytics will provide you with data sufficient enough to develop your idea into a cool MVP. Another thing you need to know is that generally startups are divided into two groups: horizontal startups and vertical startups.
What is a vertical startup? A vertical startup is such a startup that uses a traditional way of developing and expanding on the market. It is either done by implementing new features and additional functionality in the existing product or by introducing new products which show the same direction and goals. This shows the main difference between horizontal apps and vertical ones: the latter expands within the same market niche, diving deeper and deeper into the current business line.
Horizontal startup founders expand their business in other markets and domains, including both geographical position and business niche. This is a less common type of a startup strategy as the horizontal direction is hard to perform successfully.
- Learn and adapt to the market of your startup. Your competitors never sleep, and even if your product is non-profit, you still need to know how to present yourself and stand out of the crowd. It is even more important when we talk about products with artificial intelligence built in them. Though this type of product usually makes a fuss itself, try to keep in mind that you still have to keep your eye open.
- Don’t forget about the design. Since you want to make an app using cutting-edge technology, you should make it show the best correlation with the UI (User Interface). It doesn’t matter how strong the functionality of your product is as far as it doesn’t have an appealing interface.
- Marketing . Once you’ve identified the strong side of your artificial intelligence application, your next step would be to promote it and make other people learn about it as well.
- Pre-launch testing is as important as general testing in the process of development. Testing is your best friend which will help you grow and polish your AI startup. Testing before market launch gives you an indispensable opportunity to get rid of all the bugs, errors, and other dreadful inconveniences. Looking at your app from the point of view of a typical user will give you objective understanding of what yet needs to be done and how you can make user experience (UX) almost perfect.
- The last thing to ask yourself in the list is the following: is my artificial intelligence application too complicated for a regular user ? Does your app have a complicated or long tutorial? Is it hard to get used to the manual side of the app? Despite the fact that AI is a rather new technology, especially in mobile application development, your goal here is to make it as user friendly as possible. Remember that your main goal is not just to build an artificial intelligence mobile app, but to make an app that will make the everyday life of your future users easier. Everything you do should be for the sake of the user.
All in all, AI is a breakthrough in everyday life as well as it is in the field of cybersecurity and defense. Try to give artificial intelligence a chance, and it will give you back a real opportunity to make an impact.